Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday, Featured member of the Day is Theresa!!

Theresa is the co-owner of Rag Queen Quilters, she is like the other half of my brain, sometimes the whole thing.LOL She has been with this group since the beginning, has seen everything, and helped get RQQ where it is today. She can certainly sew up a storm too, you should see all the goodies that has come out her front door. She is part of the mod squad, ( we have a wonderful mod squad), she is part of the glue that holds this group together too. We all love Theresa, except the lady at the flower shop, but that is too long to tell the story...he he it will make her smile when she reads this....he he he.

Theresa makes rag quilts, totes, and these fancy little raggy pin cushions. They are so cute, you must check them out...here is a photo of one she did.



It is done in such bright colors, she has lots of instructions available to make tote bags, and her pin cushion as well.Here is some more of her work. This is the tote bag pattern.



Take a moment and look for Ashlawnfarms, that is our Theresa, she has a nice variety of goodies available.

I asked Theresa some questions and here is what she said.

************************************************************************************

At what age did you become interested in crafting?

Probably at about 12 or 13. Both of my grandmothers taught be crafting. One did crochet and the other quilted.



How long have you been doing your craft?

I have been quilting for over 20 years and rag quilting for over 2 years now.



What different crafts do you do ?

I like to paint, design mosaics, ceramics, and make primitive crafts of all sorts.


Who inspired you to get into it?

Grandma Walters inspired me with her quilting. She passed away in 2004 after spending the last 7 years of her life in the nursing home. She and I had created over 20 traditional quilts together.
Our last outing together we went up to Shipshewana, IN (Amish area) and spent the day looking at quilts and crafts of all sorts. It was a wonderful day.


Any goals in the next 5 years?

I don't know, I plan on doing more contributing to the charity projects we do in RQQ and at my church. I think helping others makes me more happy than anything. I would like to get my sewing room completed way before 5 years is over too!
It is a huge remodel job we are doing ourselves.


What is the best project you created and why?

Grandma and I made a lone star quilt together. I made the top, she quilted it. A few months after it was completed my Grandmother was featured in a local newspaper about her quilting. Grandma wanted me there too for the interviewing. And so both of us were pictured with the Lone Star Quilt for the publication. That was way back in 1990 maybe. I was about 20.



What do you do when your not crafting?


I am an athletic trainer and a teacher for high school students. I love watching baseball and sitting in the dugouts with the guys. For 3 summers (2003-05) I was the athletic trainer for an independant baseball team. It was fun but hard work. We played 96 games in 102 days during the summer so most of my time was spent on a charter bus with 26 obnoxious guys. A lot of them are still good friends of mine.



Anything else you want to share?

Well, since you asked..... I really enjoy being a part of the Rag Queen Quilters sisterhood. There is a true friendship among this group of ladies. It is so amazing to see the charity projects come together from time to time.
RQQ is also bound together by our closeness. We have shared so many personal trials with others in the group, and I have prayed and been prayed for. When you read that someone is praying for you there is such a feeling of comfort.
I joined RQQ about 3 months after it was created. I learned so much from the original gals there. We have seen many join and leave over the last 2 years. But the ones that remain are my closest friends. I care deeply for our group of ladies. That is the reason behind preserving our integrity as a high class group of ladies. My grandmother died of a stroke 7 years after it happened. It took another 7 years to find my way back to quilting. I joined RQQ about that time. The RQQ girls are all so much a part of me and I mean as close as what my grandmother was/is. RQQ is a comfort to me.
The truth about RQQ is this: We are a FAMILY AND A ROCK.

7 comments:

  1. Couldn't think of a better lady to be featured. Congratulations, Theresa! You are truly one of the pillars of Rag Queen Quilters. I'm so honored to be a part of this group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoooo Whooo! Theresa is a great woman! She deserves the spotlight. She has become one of my closest frinds, and we haven't even met! She is the best! Just knowing she is there has brightened my life. WTG, Theresa!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful lady to feature. Theresa is a ray of sunshine for all who know her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Theresa Love it that you are featured. You are such a great person and always has a hand out to help others. WTG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Thanks Cathy and thanks everyone for the nice comments. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theresa truely is the backbone of our group. She is always there to inspire and console. Although not a member from the very beginning, but pretty close to it, I have come to really appreciate her. Thanks Theresa for being there for all of us.

    ReplyDelete