Sunday, May 10, 2009

Make-A-Wish Charity Teddy Bear Rag Quilt

Hello and a very Happy Mother's Day to all of you reading this as well as your loved ones. I hope today is very relaxing for you.
I wanted to review so far the charity quilts' that are almost complete. I came up with the idea to create a charity quilt for an RQQ sister of ours whose 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with a form of treatable cancer last year. She is on her final phase of her aggressive treatments and still manages to keep a smile on her precious little face. When I spoke with her mother and asked what charity has helped her family she told me Make-A-Wish Foundation and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society were 2 of many. These are the 2 I chose as Make-A-Wish is granting her daughter the wish to go to Disney World late this summer and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has helped out throughout her care and treatments also.
I chose the teddy bear theme as all people young and old, boy and girl like teddy bears. I opened the option up for the RQQ sisters' and my other lovely group of quilting sisters' in QCG, to donate squares if they would like. The turn out was wonderful. I received enough squares, fabric, and appliques to create a small ribbon tag rag quilt blankie, a cuddle sized rag quilt blankie and 2 larger rag quilts' closer to the size of a twin. I will be able to get exact measurements as soon as those 2 are complete. If you flip back through all the posts of the Teddy Bear Rag Quilt you will see picture by picture the progress this charity project has taken.
I have decided to start the auctions for all 4 of these quilts' on May 17th, which is the day that the QCG sisters' are starting their monthly Red Tag Sale on Ebay. 1 small quilt and 1 larger quilt with all proceeds going to Make-A-Wish Foundation, and 1 small quilt and 1 larger quilt with all proceeds going to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. We have high hopes that these auctions will do wonderful for these 2 fine charities! Please do keep posted and be sure to mark your calendar for May 17th being the start of these auctions. As always, the RQQ sisters' thank you for stopping by to visit our blog!

2 comments: