Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What about Wednesday?

I am going to break away from the posts about children but it about family.

In the last two months I lost an uncle and an aunt. There were 10 children and now there are only 4. My dad is the last of the boys and is the youngest boy. It has hit him especially hard since he realizes that time is going by so quickly. It has made me put a lot of things in perspective also.

How much time do we spend running around in our daily lives, to work, running after kids and grandkids, just taking care of life in general and not stopping to be thankful for what we do have. More importantly being thankful for those in our lives both near and far.

When was the last time you called your grandparents, that favorite great aunt or even a cousin you haven't seen in a while? Have you called your parents just to say I love you? What about that grandbaby in another state? What about your children?

My point is reach out and touch ALL of those that you love and cherish. Family is important and keeping linked to them even more so. I have a very large extended family that I had lost touch with. I know they are around, I know where most of them live, I just had not spoken to many of them in 20 years. Shame on me. Like Dr. Phil says, someone has to step up and be the hero in a broken relationship. Sometimes it just takes a small gesture to get the lines of communication open again.

So call or write that long lost family member today. You never know when the last time you talked to them will be the last time you talk to them.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! TTFN ~ Marydon
    PS Sorry about your losses, may they rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right!! I have a lot of family that I need to reach out to before it's too late. Thanks for the gentle reminder!

    ReplyDelete